Syracuse Assistant Canned over Sex Allegations

Talk about professional sports including basketball, baseball, football, and hockey. Advocate your favorite teams, post news, and address rumors.

Moderators: Loon E Lou, JDR

JDR
Da Punchline King
Wins: 48
Losses: 3
No Shows: 3

Syracuse Assistant Canned over Sex Allegations

Post by JDR »

Bernie Fine was fired Sunday by Syracuse University after a 10-year-old voice recording of his wife emerged in which she acknowledges alleged sexual abuse and a third man accused the assistant basketball coach of molesting him nine years ago.

"At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine's employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately," Kevin Quinn, the school's senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.

.... Read the rest of the article here
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... llegations

Wow! That's all I can say going on in the sports world right now. This is pretty bad on multiple levels. First, Jim Boeheim is an extremely talented coach and the 'Cuse is a highly respectible program. Then, this is gonna stay under the radar because of Penn State. Surely not the magnitude of the Penn State scandel but when you mollest little boys, it's sickening.

For those that's been stuck under a rock, ESPN was first told about this in 2002 by a guy that said it happend to back in the 80's while he was a ball boy. Outside The Lines, a show ESPN host, decided not to air the special because of Fine's reputation and lack of evidence or charges (the right thing IMO). Then, another guy comes forward and says he was mollested too. Now ESPN (and here's where they should be hammered) has a recorded phone conversation with Fine's wife who 'highly suspected' that her husband was mollesting the first boy in their home but felt like she couldn't do anything. And now a third boy, who's 23 years old and pending charges for mollesting a boy himself in Maine, says that he was abused when he was a boy too.

This is sad and it's probably just the beginning. The Penn State stuff has prompted a lot of people to come forward and I really expect more from other programs around the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit beyond college athletics. When you think about being a kid and coming from a poor background, you'll foam out the mouth to get to do what some of these kids had the chance to do. Going to games, meeting players, getting special treatment by being allowed to go on road games, lockrooms, getting stuff and of course your going too. They say one of the most popular ways a pedophile lures children is through the use of candy but this is 10Xs more powerful than candy and I hope all these guys are held accountable and made examples out of. Ugh its disturbing.
Battle Record
40-2
2010 Awards
Illest Battler || Illest Punchline Artist || Battle of the Year -vs- Cee4

Return to “Sports Arena”