Adobe Audition 3.0 problems?

All production work, recording or production help, beat requests, drumkits, samples, fruity loops, programs and other studio related items belong in this section.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three
Wins: 16
Losses: 1

Adobe Audition 3.0 problems?

Post by AntiMaTTer »

I gota try to make this kinda brief cuz im at work so....

Im in the midst of setting my mic back up. Is anyone familiar with Adobe Audition 3.0? Im trying to get my mic setup through the "EDIT> AUDIO HARD WARE> and there a problem with it.

When i set it ASIO TONE PORT (my preamp) for the audio device: itll let me record. But then i cant hear the beat when im recording.

When i switch it over to the Adobe Windows Sound for Audio Device, i can hear the beat play but then i cant record? You know anything bout that?

If you guys need more information ill write the stuff down when i get home and post it up.

IL record:
16-1
jayzon_black
Rhyme Master
Wins: 4
Losses: 6
No Shows: 1

Re: Adobe Audition 3.0 problems?

Post by jayzon_black »

I don't have it, but this might help:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331631.html

Troubleshoot recording, playback, and monitoring in Adobe Audition 2 and Audition 3 Products affected

Audio Latency
Troubleshooting
This document can help you resolve problems that occur while you record, playback, or monitor in Adobe Audition 2 and 3.

Recording problems can manifest themselves in many different ways, including (but not limited to) the following:

Quality of recorded audio is poor.
Audio is monitored through the system but the recorded audio file is empty.
Delay in playback while recording.
Delay in playback while monitoring incoming audio.
Different factors can cause recording or playback problems, including conflicts among device drivers, software, and hardware, and corrupt elements in specific files. Although some problems may occur only when you work with Adobe Audition, Adobe Audition may not necessarily be the cause--it may be the only application that is memory-intensive or processor-intensive enough to expose the problem.

To benefit most from this document, perform the tasks in order. Keep track of the tasks you perform and the results of each, including errors or other problems. Adobe Technical Support can use this information to better assist you, should you need to call.

Audio Latency
Audio Latency is the time that an audio signal takes to pass from the sound card input to the sound cards output where it can be heard. The audio signal is digitized, routed through Adobe Audition, processed by any effects applied, then converted back to analog form to be heard (monitored) at the sound card outputs. Each of these steps contributes to the audio latency which is measured in milliseconds (ms). Existing audio (that is, audio files already on a track in the Multitrack) does not exhibit the same amount of latency since the tracks are already digitized. In Adobe Audition, this discrepancy in playback delay , between existing tracks and monitoring inputs, is where latency is most noticeable.

As a general rule, latency over 10 milliseconds can produce an audible delay between playback of existing tracks and monitoring. Although buffer settings (see step 8 below) can help reduce latency, the design of the hardware device driver and the amount of effects processing can potentially make monitoring difficult (or unusable). If the device driver for your sound card does not allow a low enough latency, then you may not be able to monitor while recording and you may require a new sound card with low latency device drivers (for example, an ASIO sound card).

General guidelines that apply to latency times.
Less than 10ms - allows real-time monitoring of incoming tracks including effects.

At 10ms - latency can be detected but can still sound natural and is usable for monitoring.

11-20ms - monitoring starts to become unusable, smearing of the actual sound source and the monitored output is apparent.

20-30ms - delayed sound starts to sound like an actual delay rather than a component of the original signal.

Note: The human ear is accustomed to latency because it occurs naturally in the world around us. The frequency of a sound, distance from the sound's source, and the physical properties of the human ear all play a part in when we hear a sound. However, the amount of latency introduced in the recording and monitoring process is due to the physical properties and limitations of the sound card, device drivers and processing power of the computer CPU.

Troubleshooting
1. Make sure that the system meets the minimum requirements for Audition.
Audition may not run correctly on a system that doesn't meet the following requirements:

Audition 3:

Intel Pentium 4 (1.4GHz for DV, 3.4GHz for HDV); Intel Centrino; Intel Xeon (dual Xeon 2.8GHz processors for HD); or Intel Core Duo or compatible processor (SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified support for 32-bit editions only)
512MB of RAM (1GB for DV playback; 2GB for HDV and HD playback)
10GB of available hard-disk space (when used with Loopology DVD)
DVD drive required for installation
1,280x900 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card and 16MB of VRAM
Microsoft DirectX or ASIO compatible sound card
QuickTime 7.0 required to use QuickTime features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Audition 2:

Intel Pentium III, IV, Intel Centrino (or other SSE-enabled processor)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, or Windows XP Home Edition, with Service Pack 2
512MB RAM (1GB or more recommended)
700MB of available hard disk space (5.5GB of available hard-disk space recommended for installing optional audio clips)
1024x768 display (1280x1024 recommended)
Sound card with DirectSound or ASIO drivers (multitrack ASIO sound card recommended)
CD-ROM drive (DVD-ROM drive recommended for installing optional audio clips)
CD-RW drive for audio CD creation
Speakers or headphones recommended
Internet or phone connection required for product activation and Internet-related services
2. Verify that the correct driver is selected for Adobe Audition.
Adobe Audition 2 and 3 is designed around a new ASIO playback engine which performs optimally when using an ASIO driver. If no ASIO driver is installed for use with Audition choose the Audition Windows Sound driver instead.

To verify that the correct driver is selected for Adobe Audition:

Choose Edit > Audio Hardware Setup, and click either the Edit View, Multitrack, or Surround Encoder tab.
Note: You must set up each of the Views (Edit, Multitrack and Surround Encoder) separately.
Make sure that the installed sound card driver is selected in the Audio Driver menu.
If an ASIO device driver is available, then be sure to select it.
If an ASIO device driver is NOT available, then select the Audition Windows Sound driver and refer to document kb408729, "Set up Audition 3 audio hardware drivers" for details on setting up the AWS driver.
Note: Adobe recommends that you choose the ASIO driver that is installed with your sound device instead of the default Audition Windows Sound driver. The Audition Windows Sound driver should only be used in a situation where the system audio device does not have it's own ASIO driver.

3. Verify that the sound card is set correctly.
If you have problems recording in Adobe Audition, the sound card may not be set properly. The sound card controls all playback and recording, and if it isn't set correctly, applications may not record audio.

For ASIO device drivers:

Choose Edit>Audio Hardware Setup, and click either Edit View, Multitrack, or Surround Encoder tab.
In the Driver Properties section, select Control Panel.
Setup the device in the driver control panel. Refer to the hardware manufacturers user guide for details on hardware setup.
For Audition Windows Sound device driver:

Choose Edit>Audio Hardware Setup, and click either Edit View, Multitrack, or Surround Encoder tab.
In the Driver Properties section select Control Panel.
Setup the device in the Audition Windows Sound control panel. See document kb408729, "Set up Audition 3 audio hardware drivers", for details on setting up the AWS driver.
4. Update the sound card driver.
Many sound card manufacturers frequently update their software drivers. If you haven't recently updated the sound card driver, contact the sound card manufacturer for an updated driver, or download one from the manufacturer's website.

5. Set Adobe Audition temporary folders to high-performance drives that have adequate free disk space.
When you record in Edit View, Adobe Audition stores temporary files in its Primary Temp Directory. Make sure that the Primary Temp Directory is set to the fastest drive (7200rpm and above) and that has the most free space. You should also create a folder just for Adobe Audition temporary files. By creating a folder for the temporary files, you can find the files easily should you need to delete them.

To create and set the location of the Primary Temp Directory:

Create a folder at the root of the hard drive where you want the Primary Temp Directory (for example, AuditionTemp)
In Adobe Audition choose Edit > Preferences and click the System tab.
In the Temporary Folders section enter the path (or browse) to the folder you created in step 1.
When you record in Multitrack View, Adobe Audition stores files directly into a subfolder within the folder of the current session (for example, with a session called Thomas.ses a folder called Thomas_Recorded contains all the files recorded for that session). Make sure that the session files (and this associated folder) is stored on the fastest drive (7200rpm and above) and that it has the most free space.

Putting the Adobe Audition temporary directories or session folders on separate hard drives can improve performance. If you have multiple hard drives you should put the Primary Temp Folder and the session folders on the hard drive that doesn't contain the Adobe Audition program files.

For more information about managing temporary files and folders see "Managing Temporary Files" on page 40 of the Audition 2.0 User Guide.

6. Change the Wave Cache settings in Adobe Audition.
Changes to the Wave Cache setting increases performance in Adobe Audition. To change the Wave Cache setting, choose Edit > Preferences > System, and then enter a value from the following table in the Cache Size field, depending on how much RAM is installed on your computer.

Installed RAM Wave Cache setting
512MB 32MB
1GB 64MB
Higher than 1GB 128MB
7. Run Adobe Audition while no other applications are running.
Some applications may cause system errors or freezes when running concurrently with Audition. Before starting Audition, disable other applications, including startup items (items that start automatically with Windows).

To disable startup items:

Quit all applications.
Choose Start > Run, and type msconfig in the Open box. Click OK.
Click the Startup tab, and click Disable All.
Select any startup items that are essential for testing the problem (for example, a driver control panel for the installed sound device). If you are unsure whether an item is essential, leave it selected (enabled).
Click OK, and restart Windows.
Right-click icons in the Notification Area (called the System Tray in earlier versions of Windows) to close or disable any startup items that are still active.
Then, try to recreate the problem:

If the problem doesn't occur, then one of the disabled startup items conflicts with Audition. Re enable startup items one at a time, testing each time until you determine which item conflicts with Audition. Then contact that item's developer for an update, if available.
If the problem does occur, then startup items aren't the cause and you can re enable them:
Choose Start > Run, and type msconfig in the Open box. Click OK.
Click the Startup tab, and click Enable All.
Click OK, and restart Windows.
8. Change the buffer size settings.
Buffer settings can lower latency, and help eliminate clicks, pops, dropouts, and other distortions that can occur in recording or playback. Before you adjust the buffer settings, make a note of what the current buffer settings are so that you can restore them if necessary. If you use the Adobe Windows Sound driver, then you can adjust buffer settings within Adobe Audition.

To change the Adobe Windows Sound buffer settings:

Choose Edit > Audio Hardware Setup and then click the Multitrack tab.
Note: You must configure Edit View and Surround Encoder separately.
Select the Audition Windows Sound driver, and then click Control Panel.
In the Direct Sound Input Ports section, find and check the box next to the device name you intend to use for audio input.
Double-click the number in the Buffer Size column and change to the desired size (see the Buffer Size guidelines in this section of the document).
Note: If you use an ASIO sound card, then refer to the manufacturers documentation for details on setting the buffer size.

Note the following Buffer Size guidelines:

To improve recording performance, lower the buffer size (32 to 256 Samples); this lowers the latency.
To improve playback and mixing performance (with effects), increase the buffer size (512 to 2048 samples); this increases latency
9. Optimize IDE disks.
Windows XP enables Direct Memory Access (DMA) by default on most IDE devices. If DMA is disabled, re enable it to improve the transfer rate of IDE disks and to prevent playback and recording problems. For more information on DMA mode, visit the Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/whdc/default.mspx.

For instructions on how to optimize IDE disks, refer to your Windows documentation.

10. Update the Video Display driver.
Adobe Audition 2 and 3is more graphically intense than earlier versions and can take advantage of more video RAM as well as most recent driver updates. If you haven't recently updated the video card driver, contact the video card manufacturer for an updated driver, or download one from the manufacturer's website.

11. Determine monitoring needs (Audition Mix versus External monitoring).
Adobe Audition features three possible types of monitoring for the incoming audio signal. Selecting the proper monitoring type can help to avoid possible problems with driver performance. For more information about monitoring see the "To hear inputs with effects applied to tracks" section of the Audition User Guide. Sound cards with low-latency drivers should perform equally well using any of the three monitoring methods. Sound cards with high latency drivers will cause a significant delay between what is being played and what is being monitored. If the delay is too long you may be limited to monitoring External inputs only.

To set the monitoring type choose Options > Monitoring and select one of the following:

Audition Mix > Smart Input: Monitors the input only when you record a track. Use this setting only if your sound card latency is low enough not to cause a signal delay.
Audition Mix > Always Input: Monitors the input at all times during playback and recording. Use this setting only if your sound card latency is low enough not to cause a signal delay.
External: Monitors the input directly from the sound card, without routing them through effects and sends in Adobe Audition. This option bypasses Adobe Audition and lets the sound card pass audio directly through to the outputs. For more details about monitoring directly through the sound card consult your sound card user guide.
Ride out, Glide out.
Loon E Lou
Fuck You, Pay Me
Wins: 11

Post by Loon E Lou »

diddo^
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

I appreciate the insight. Im not sure if that is QUITE what im looking for but it certainly helps more than what i have....

if i cant fix Adobe Audition ill have to switch back to Cool Edit again.

ALSO, both the COOL EDIT and the ADOBE AUDITION are cracked versions, is there an anti theft thing in Audition that could prevent the proper use of it?

IL record:
16-1
Alvin
Sudonim Free
Wins: 8
Losses: 3

Post by Alvin »

A cracked product simply is a big middlke finger to the company, so if in fact they created an anti theft, itd be impossible for it to effect yours since yours never syncs with anything, because its stolen lol.

I guess it never hurts to ask...

Theres hould be a monitor button on the recording tracks of some kind, if selected it can mute the track and only relay what you input (so when you talk into a mic, you can hear yourself). If its selected though, it will mute whatever is there.

Secondly, do you have a headphone jack that works in your soundcard? (interface). Are you sure it works?
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

Try this possibly?

In audition
1. Goto edit-> audio hardware

2. Select "Audition 3.0 Windows sound" in the audio driver dropdown.

3. Click the control panel button.

4. Verify that your playback soundcard and your recording device have their boxes checked.

5. Apply, ok, yada yada...

6. Start a session and select your mono input (soundcard) and just leave the output on master as it should auto select your default windows stereo sound (realtek etc..), you may want to check just in case.
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

Panda, i have Turtle Beach headphone so its a headset, but it uses USB.
I have to use them, so if my headphones are cuzin the conflict ill get new ones soon.

That last post you did might be what im lookin for, but when i check the WINDOWS card, i can only pick ONE or the other

Either windows card, or my ASIO thing, i can do screen shots i think

IL record:
16-1
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

Ok... so let me see if can post a screen shot, i think this may work on what you told me panda, i thought it had something to do with that, but now my latency must be fucked up cuz the beat wont play smoothly.

what should the latency be at?

IL record:
16-1
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

ok its giving me the error code of

Device: Line In (VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller)
Errorcode: FF9-5-0044 [8878000a]
INFO: Device could not be opened

So i have something in the audio hardware panel misfigured if its giving me
an error code like this, any idea what it could be? something to do with
the Input or the Line In?

Also, i MIC (VIA AC) or w/e slected on the second track, thats on the --> arrow box. the <-- box has none.
And the beat is on the first track with --> Digital Audio (which i assume is my windows sound card?)

So when i arm the track and hit record it says:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARMING Non-Asio Device

You currently have a DirectSound sound Card driver selected (Audition Windows Sound). For best results when recording, select ASIO sound card driver. To chance your sound card driver selection, choose Edit > Audio Hardware Setup.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...now i think once i get arm the track and hit record without this other error box showing up i think it should work, i just have to figure it out now.
Last edited by AntiMaTTer on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

IL record:
16-1
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

Where is the struggle at?

I have returned.
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

uh...

i think my computer is being bogged down.

That glitch/hiccup i been hearing...well i dont hear it when i play music any more...
and when i went to record it was ok for a second. So i go thru my preamp
(Tone port 6/GearBox) and click the EQ button, under STUDIO MIC SETTINGS, Compression, and couple other effects, and goto listen to the beat in CEP...sure enough, that bitch starts bogging down hard core, like it almost stop playing the beat completely....

Im wondering, if have a BAD STICK OF RAM? or somethings up...i have an external hard drive...so i can move some data onto that and clear some space up but if its a bad stick of ram then that needs to be replaced.

Holla panda, itd be nice to get my shit working and you seem to know what youre talking about.

IL record:
16-1
jayzon_black
Rhyme Master
Wins: 4

Post by jayzon_black »

Thats likely the case, especially if you have a bunch of plug-ins or effects to process and render. The more you got going on the more RAM you will need. HD space is good for collecting samples, but ultimately RAM is where the heavy lifting rests. Depending on what your rig can handle you can find some real good deals on Amazon. I just maxed out my MPC 1000 yesterday and it's working like a champ with all my samps.
Ride out, Glide out.
AntiMaTTer
Army Of Three

Post by AntiMaTTer »

hm...fuck. well i have to find out if one of my Ram Sticks are out of order...b/c i could record fine in the past? So...idk, i assume i could now also. But i do have an external harddrive so idk i guess ill have to look into this, prolly cop some more/new ram and see if thats what it is.

IL record:
16-1
blindeyeent
Potential Emcee

Post by blindeyeent »

i use adobe and nothing else... it's 1 how slow your comp. is and 2 your set-up... i use nothing but usb pluggins in and out of my pc i NEVER touch the line in mic in or line outs... they are a waste of time and only give your neg. feedback...

when i had my other computer i had the same issue where it would record and only play back in one ear or the other or not at all but i was also using CRAP for a set-up.

i am not good at explaining things threw txt doesn't work well for me man... but i am trying lol

basically the only time you can hear it is threw the windows soundcard... but it's all fuzzy crappy and i bet even if you move your mouse it slowwwssss down and sometimes jumps around... it happened to me that way at least...

if you are tending on making music complexed then i would juss say upgrade the p.c.

i went to wallmart and bought a pc for less than 300$ and then juss kept upgrading from there also went out and bought a mixing board where my studio monitors plug into and my mic and it's all usb related into my computer...

it's called alesis multimix 8 usb

it will be a great invest ment for you and may also clear everything up for you as well it has it's own soundcard in it and runs by usb... and ac power for phantom

just make sure you select it in your audio hardwear when you open the adobe audition...

thats the best i can do to help bro sorry if it didn't help

Return to “Studio Related”