Studio Work Help and advice.

All production work, recording or production help, beat requests, drumkits, samples, fruity loops, programs and other studio related items belong in this section.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

Alvin
Sudonim Free
Wins: 8
Losses: 3
No Shows: 1

Studio Work Help and advice.

Post by Alvin »

What's up, I'm recording out of my house, so this is what I'm working with:

Cubase 5
Reason 4
Recycle
Battery 3
Keyboard/Midi Controller
Trigger Finger
Tascam US144 audio/midi interface
Rode Nt1a Mic
MXL 990 & 991
Fender acoustic guitar
(I took pictures of most of it http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/show- ... 17-15.html)

Anyways, I'm trying to progress as a audio engineer, or producer, or beat maker, or whatever else you feel like calling a person who sits infront of a computer and trys to get things sounding right. I just feel like there's all kind of artists on here, but this section is kind of too dead. I doubt everyone knows everything, but if you do, please write me the answers lol.

some Q's:

Is it possible to fully master in Cubase?
Why does Reason lose its sound engine when rewired through cubase in slave mode but works fine in stand alone?
Whats a good mic volume setting to record? like when initially starting the session? lowest best to where the mixer barely reads? highest to where its almost peaking? etc.
I have plenty of questions, and some answers if you have questions aswell, but I'll start with those and see if this gets read, or fades into the blackness.

Take it easy.
2xS
Elite Freestyler
Wins: 2

Re: Studio Work Help and advice.

Post by 2xS »

I'm Not Sure About The Program Questions Bro, Simply Because I Don't Use Either One Of Those. . .As For Mic Volume, I Know When I Was Learning Different Techniques, I Was Taught To Either Start Off Recording At 1/2 Volume, Or Just Go Strait To Trying -6 DB. That Way You'll Have More Room To Widen And Thicken The Vocals. Also, If You Have The Extra Money, You Can Always Send It In To Be Professionally Mastered, And The People There Will Always Ask That Your Final Mix Be Set To -6 DB For Headroom To Work With.
. . .If It Ain't Audio, Don't Ask Me To Vote. . .
http://www.reverbnation.com/2xsdoubles
Lawgix
The Aphilliated Assasin
Wins: 14
Losses: 8

Post by Lawgix »

yes i believe u can fully mix and master in CubeAce... another artist on Illest works with CubeAce and he says it works fine for him to mix and master...

as for mic volume is concerned... i would do what 2XS said start as -6db or -5db... that way to fully master the vocals u have plenty of head room to work with... but don't put too much compression on the vocals so that the beat drowns it out...

you COULD send it off to have it professionally mastered but this is where the learning process starts at... plus u doing it by urself is FREE... i would say get some friends that are interested in that line of work n have them help you... keep one friend on the side line and have one sit next to you... that way you have a fresh set of ears so he can hear if something is wrong or off...
Don't Let The Game Make U, Make Urself

Lawgix

Illest Radio

"Sometimes You Gotta Stand By Your Failures To Recognize Your Success" Joe Budden

pest wrote:You look Easy... Whats Good?
AntiMaTTer wrote:lmao ...is this how you hit on all the chicks?
2xS
Elite Freestyler

Post by 2xS »

Yeah, I Agree With Logix About Having Different People Listen. Another Good Strategy For That, Is To Do Your Recording And A Small Pre-Mix The Same Day. Wait Til The Next Day, And Do Final Mixing And Attempt At Mastering. Mainly So You Have Your Ears Fresh And Not Tired Out.
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

2xS, I appreciate it bro, ima set it at -6 and try that route. I usually try and slam everything out in one day, but ill try the mutliple day thing and see if I get a difference.
Lawgix, who's the other artist that uses cubase? Apparently I got stationed in a desert, and the music scene is composed of just myself lol. So getting others would be a tad bit difficult. As for compression, I never used it before. What exactly is the compresssor supposed to do to my vocals?

I appreciate the help guys

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
2xS
Elite Freestyler

Post by 2xS »

From My Experience That I've Gained Over Tha Past 3 Months, A Compressor Basically Keeps Your Vocals From Clipping Horribly And Keeps Em Level. Let's Say This Solid Line Is The Peak Of Your Compressor (Threshold)

The Middle Is Your Vocals

And The Dotted Line Is The Attack Of Your Vocals (The Start)

So. . .You're Recording Along. . (WITHOUT A COMPRESSOR)

And You Have A Part That Gets Loud

_____________________________OFF!!___
They Called Me In On My Day
-----------------------------------

Well, As U Can See, The "Off" Word Is Outside The Threshold. So now That Word CLIPS And Fucks Up Your Whole Line. What The Compressor Does Is Keeps That Word Level With The Rest. So Now, Here's The Same Line With The Compressor Added

Ahhh. . .Level Vocals!!! Lol Hope That Helps You Understand. If Not, PM Me And I'll Try To Explain Better.
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

Holy hell, that's prolly the coolest explanation I've ever received on a studio related question. So if I'm understanding right, does that take the place of a limiter then?
2xS
Elite Freestyler

Post by 2xS »

Pretty Much. Lol. If I'm Wrong, Anyone Should Correct Me. But I've Got An Actual Analog Compressor Limiter, And When I Was Being Taught How Ta Use It, He Basically Broke It Down That Same Way I Did For You.
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

Hmmm, two things that do one... sounds human made. BTW, your stupid fast at responding. What you know about setting a correct echo.... I heard there is a equation for that.... Like tempo x bars / tears - blood + braincells lol
e2dap
Potential Emcee

Post by e2dap »

Why dont u just get protools?
www.e2dap.com
www.youtube.com/e2dapproductions
www.twitter.com/e2dap
www.soundclick.com/bands/epitaphhiphop
www.soundcloud.com/e2dap
www.e2dap.bandcamp.com
www.myspace.com/e2daprecords
www.myspace.com/epitaphhiphop
2xS
Elite Freestyler

Post by 2xS »

Umm. . .Idk Any Equation Thats Good For Echo's. . .I'm Still ELarning On Different Effects And Stuff. I Figure after I Do My Bid Here At Good Ol Minot, I'm Gonna Go Attend Full Sail University And Get Myself A Degree As A Recording Engineer LOL Oh, And I Finally Posted Pics Of My Setup If U wanna Go Check Em Out Bro
Alvin
Sudonim Free

Post by Alvin »

I did bud, good ol' dorms. Full Sail is kick ass man. Your set up looks cool. One screen though? I find it a must to have two. I just bought a new desk for better ease of studio, so space helps too. lol.

Dap, why is protools the answer to the equation?
e2dap
Potential Emcee

Post by e2dap »

2xS wrote:Umm. . .Idk Any Equation Thats Good For Echo's. . .I'm Still ELarning On Different Effects And Stuff. I Figure after I Do My Bid Here At Good Ol Minot, I'm Gonna Go Attend Full Sail University And Get Myself A Degree As A Recording Engineer LOL Oh, And I Finally Posted Pics Of My Setup If U wanna Go Check Em Out Bro
I'll go peep that. I play shows around fullsail and one of the engineers i work with locally graduated from there, great school. when do you plan on getting over there?
www.e2dap.com
www.youtube.com/e2dapproductions
www.twitter.com/e2dap
www.soundclick.com/bands/epitaphhiphop
www.soundcloud.com/e2dap
www.e2dap.bandcamp.com
www.myspace.com/e2daprecords
www.myspace.com/epitaphhiphop
2xS
Elite Freestyler

Post by 2xS »

Well, I Don't Have Much Room For A Second Screen LOL. And When I Move Off Base Here In April I'll Have My Desktop Instead, And That'll Be Running To A 32 In. Monitor. . .LOL, My HDTV!!!

@ Dap,
My Enlistment Is Over In 2014, So If I Haven't Received Orders Out Of The Base I'm Currently At, That's When I'll Look Into Applying At That College
LoDaMack
Rookie

Post by LoDaMack »

You should check out Sae.EDU, Im going to their EMP course soon. I've been told you can stop all these problems by just getting mac... so Im getting one soon

Return to “Studio Related”