Kurse's Hip Hop Journey

Our site has incredible artists, who from time to time are so interesting that we want to interview them. Learn more about the members that you see post every day.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

complexity
Elevated
Wins: 48
Losses: 15

Kurse's Hip Hop Journey

Post by complexity »

Trivia: How many songs has Kurse dropped in the "Creation Chamber"?

Kurse has been a member of Illest Lyrics since October 1st 2006. That means that he has been on the sight for 3 years out of our 4 year run. One of the most important figures to Illest Lyrics, he single handedly defined what it meant to be an artist in the "Creation Chamber". Though he is not strictly an Illest Lyrics artist because he has bigger plans, we have vicariously lived through him as he vigorously pursued a career in the industry. We are going to "walk with him" through his journey to this point as we review some of his greatest and not-so greatest songs that he has created over the last 3 years.

---Interview Begins---
complexity: What's up Big Kurse?

Kurse: Business as usual Plex. Still alive...still makin music.

complexity: Absolutely. I want to talk more about your opinions on Illest lyrics in a couple days. Right now, I'm more interested in what you have accomplished over these three years. A quick question to start it off, how satisfied are you with your progress in the last 36 months? Furthermore where were you as an artist before you joined Illest Lyrics?

Kurse: It's been a long journey. Words can't even describe the complexities that you encounter in the industry at an underground level. The shady business, the cut-throats, the unlikely alliances you make at times. But I've learned alot during these past 36 months becuz I started rapping less than a year before I actually joined illestlyrics. So in a way...illestlyrics and I grew together.

complexity: That is exactly the point that we will be making in this interview.

Kurse: I've learned alot. Met alot of veteran underground artists over here in the Chi...worked with multiple DJ's. I've been blessed over the years. A supportive mother, a dedicated crew that grew as my label and a beautiful daughter that inspired me to be more in life. It took years to get the studio equipment together, get the money right, learn the tricks of the trade behind engineering and mixing. But here I stand before you a well rounded artist who just has a genuine love for the game.

Kurse: If I didn't have music...I honestly don't know where I'd be. I've tried to imagine in many times before but I can't seem to draw up a picture. If I wasn't doing this...I just can't see myself doing anything. More jail time? A bum sitting at home? I really don't know. But I love what I do and I love everyone who's supported me thus far during the course of the ride.

complexity: I've heard artists say in the past, if they never get signed to a major, fuck it, they are still doing what they love. Do you agree?

Kurse: I agree 100% Granted...at somepoint you need to focus on your money and proceed in life by enforcing a solid income. But even if I didn't get signed to any major distrubution as an artist...I'd still love to work in music one way or another. Be someones engineer...be someone's mixing artist...whatever. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I'll find my peace of mind. But that's last case scenario.

Kurse: In the meantime it's full-steam ahead banging out these street albums and working on my first marketable LP.

complexity: Any idea what the first LP is going to be called?

Kurse: I've thought about it for 3 years and still haven't come to a solid conclusion. It has to be just right and basically sum up the journey all within a few words. But when it comes to me...I'll know.

Kurse: **off the record Plex...
Kurse: ...i just realized that I was featured on illest twice before i was even a member

Kurse: After I Die with Viral in Feb of 2006

Kurse: (which that song sucked lol)

complexity: Haha. Nice.

Kurse: and then Me, Viral and Xacute on Sept 25th 2006

complexity: Alright

Kurse: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/viral ... t1731.html

Kurse: funny shit

Kurse: i never knew that

Kurse: haha

complexity: Yo. You're going to hate me for this, but try not to make the responses too much longer than that.

complexity: -on the record-

complexity: -off the record-

Kurse: lol

complexity: Kurse has become idle.

complexity: not of mine

complexity: I usually include off the record shit anyway.

complexity: -on the record-

Kurse: crap lol

Kurse: ok

complexity: Tough decisions. I'd expect something like that will come naturally. I want to break down a bunch of the songs that you have done since you joined Illest. I'm going to give you a link to the drop - then ask you some questions about it. Sound good?

Kurse: all good with me...let's do it

complexity: One of your very first drops in the "Creation Chamber" was this old school gem entitled "Hard Decisions".

Hard Decisions: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/hard- ... t2080.html

complexity: How did this song come about?

Kurse: bare with me a moment. i've recored alot of songs over the years so I might have to give a few of them a quick listen before i answer...i don't remember them all by name haha

Kurse: Ummm...not one of my popular tracks. Just something I wrote based off of emotions at the time. Things were tough at the time. Me and my girl were living pretty broke in a little apartment, times were tough. All I had was a low-wage job and a microphone waiting for me at home.

complexity: Sounds discouraging. Right after that track - you seemed to take out some aggression on "Demented Mind" with this freestyle.

Demented - Freestyle: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/demen ... t2041.html

complexity: Do you remember why you were dissing him?

Kurse: Well...Demented Mind (now b.k.a. Street Pharmacist) was my first legit beef on illest. In a sense you could say that he stirred the pot that landed up spilling onto others.

Kurse: I can't pin-point what words he said that started the whole thing...I just remember that he was goin hard on my name through the forums.

Kurse: But he threw 3 tracks at me...I threw 5 at him and eventually he openly admitted on the forum that he lost that little war.

complexity: In early 2007 - you were beginning to get into a a groove. You dropped "Switching Gears" and "Changing Minds".

Switching Gearz: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/switc ... t3595.html

Changing Mindz: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/chang ... t3177.html

complexity: What was your mindset when you were pumping out these new joints?

Kurse: Wow. Now those 2 tracks I do remember haha

Kurse: By the time these 2 joints came out...you could tell the obvious change in voice, presence and demeanor when compared to the earlier tracks

complexity: Also the elevation of the mixing, I'd have to add.

Kurse: ...reason being because I started talkin with IllestLyrics longtime Hip-Hop guru Drunken Jesus...and he was tellin me if I dropped some of the higher pitch in my presentation and came off a lil more grimey that my shit would probably be alot better

Kurse: so these were experimental for me as well becuz I was working off of Jesus' suggestions and guidance

Kurse: Switchin Gears I just wanted to show that I could bring on a more street oriented level. Bring out more of that aggression that Jesus was talking about.

Kurse: and Changing Mindz was something that needed to just get off my chest at that moment. Though it wasn't really one of my favorites, I remember dudes like Lawgix, Tramatik and Symbolikull hittin me up with thoughts of how the shit really inspired them and how i gave them something to really vibe with on that one.

complexity: Changing your voice to be more aggressive was very crucial. It gave you the opportunity to add more swagger on your tracks. At this point, would you say that you had found your swag, or is that still down the road a bit?

Kurse: I think lowering the tone a bit and trying to sound more natural was the best move. I owe Jesus alot for the suggestion becuz it switched up everything I was doin. After that...everything fell into place finally.

complexity: A quick comment on this track that was around the same time period.

Natalie Song: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/natal ... t3205.html

Kurse: to sum it all up...

Kurse: 'the first song i ever wrote that spilled everything that was in my heart out all at once'

Kurse: ...i think still my mother's favorite. haha

Kurse: It wasn't one of my best songs...but it was one of them that meant the most to me.

complexity: The irony of bringing up this song after the horrific beaten of that teen in Chicago. The violence is basically unmatched in the United States - your home state Illinois - has been effected by this unnecessary bullshit for a long time now. You addressed that all on "Wake Up Everybody".

Wake Up Everybody: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/wake- ... t6399.html

complexity: What did you want to say with this track?

Kurse: First remotely political track that I ever wrote. I was getting weak criticism at the time that questioned if I knew how to write anything outside of a voilent track, diss track or hood track. I wanted to show that I had views on what goes on around me as well.

Kurse: So I wanted to show not only that I could again bring a song on a different level, but also share my point of view on it all.

Kurse: In my opinion...it so/so track. Not my best...but definitely not my worst.

complexity: I think the first few bars were extremely powerful when you spoke about your daughter and the streets.

Kurse: It's something I can honestly say that even though written 2 and a half years ago...the feeling still remains today.

complexity: As we skim across these more depressing songs that you wrote at the end of 07 - we come upon "Hurting You".

Hurting You: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/hurti ... t7051.html

Kurse: Now you've struck a chord haha...one of my personal favorites, so i put it up there with my top 20.

Kurse: I really opened up on this track. Apologized to my mother openly for everyone to hear...spoke to my daughter...it carried a little bit of everything. And I felt that the Christina Aguilerra sample set the mood of the song in just the right place in which it needed to be.

complexity: What kind of setup did you have at this point. How was the track created, if you can recall the process, what equipment that you were working with, and how your mixing abilities had expanded from the first tracks that we talked about.

Kurse: At this point I had finally gotten a big sound board for the quality (a Tascam 2488) as well as a condensed mic (an MXL V63M) mixing in cool edit. The old tracks were being recorded on an old 8 track (a Tascam DP-01) with a shitty lil stage mic from the early 80's that we bought from a garage sale. haha We didn't even have a mic stand for it...we just tucked it in a Timberland boot and set itnup on top of the TV.

Kurse: Obviously I've moved on up as the years went by haha ...and yes, I now have multiple mic stands haha

complexity: 2008. What was your new years resolution as an artist?

Kurse: If I remember correctly...it was just to expand what Anger Manij'ment was doing and really get the name out there.

complexity: That you do. In 2008 - you were starting to perform live, explain.

Kurse: Well by '08 I had already dropped 2 street albums and was getting ready to drop a 3rd...locally I created a decent buzz. So people started opening up...asking if i'd be interested in doin a show here...a show there. And the little shows had such good turn-outs and success' ...that bigger venues started seeking me out based on reputation.

Kurse: It was a sign that things were really coming together.

complexity: You did a song entitled "In The Rain". The quality is starting to get even better with this joint as we are February of 2008.

In The Rain: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/the-rain-vt7887.html

Kurse: Hand's down one of the best tracks I was ever blessed to do.

Kurse: Top 10 easily

Kurse: HKX and G-Baby lost their cousin Lalo in a shooting a few years back...and I lost my grandmother around the same time. We just felt it was the right thing to do to let them know that they were still in our hearts and minds by dedicating 1 project to them atleast.

Kurse: By that time, my mixing techniques were rounded out and everything seemed to be sounding proper.

Kurse: I'm proud of that song.

complexity: Around the same time a more upbeat song was released.

complexity: "Twerk Your Body"

Twerk Your Body: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/twerk ... t7983.html

Kurse: Again...wanting to do something more club oriented, myself, HKX & G-Baby came together to just bang out something bananaz. The beat was way too hot to skip-over. originally I was going to do the song by myself, but when they heard the beat, it turned into a "must bless project" haha

Kurse: Top 20 for sure if you ask me.

complexity: What do you think of the whole club record scene. What appeals you to this aspect of hip hop?

Kurse: Honestly...

Kurse: ...i like to please the ladies. haha

Kurse: and I aim to please!

Kurse: I dunno...I like doing things that are upbeat but putting my own twist on them. None of this "Ice Cream Paint Job" shit they play in the clubs. Just good ol' fashion "Bitch I'ma talk dirty to you on this song" type-of-track!

Kurse: I call it the LL Cool J method of hip-hop lol

complexity: In that same vein - you made the ladies say "Damnnn" in June of 2008.

Damn!: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/damn-vt8272.html

Kurse: hahaha...Top 10 Easily.

Kurse: Normally I wouldn't touch a concept that was so played out and abused. But one night me and KO went out for a few drinks, came back to the lab buzzed and had the urge to record. I'll never forget it. KO turns to me and says..."Let's rap about booty's!" haha

Kurse: So "DAMNNN" was just a product of 1 too many beers that turned out to be a good thing out of nowhere.

Kurse: On of our most popular songs I have to admit.

complexity: You got back to the street with this crazy joint in September of last year. You rapped about the cops being at your door, a kind of played concept again, with your own twist, because I'm sure everyone has had this experience before.

Ain't Over: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/ain-over-vt10452.html

Kurse: I hit a brick wall around that time. I was putting out so many club tracks, diss tracks, and personal reflective tracks that I was beginning to leave behind one of my favorite elements of Hip-Hop...which was being able to tell a story. Especially one that can leave you like"Shit...what was that about!?" The benefit of throwing a twist at the end of the song. I like leaving listeners awe at times

complexity: You might be referring to songs like "Shake It Up".

Shake It Up: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/shake-vt10387.html

Kurse: no real girlfriends were harmed in the process of that song.

Kurse: Shake it Up...TOP 5

Kurse: I loved making that song. It was just too much fun. I work at a strip club. So writing a song based around what I see everyday at work was just too easy for me. Fortunately enough it turned out to be one of the most popular songs I did. It's a hit at all the shows.

Kurse: The strippers at work love it too! haha

complexity: You dropped the song "Insomnia" within 24 hours. Is the name of that song suppose to be taken literally?

Insomnia: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/insomnia-vt10296.html

Kurse: Somewhat.

Kurse: I have sleep Epnea

complexity: How does that play in with this song and what demons would you say that you specifically fight?

Kurse: I've been suffering with it for about 4 yrs now. My sleep schedule is always off and I literally fight to stay awake.

Kurse: The demons I fight is my restless mind. The body tires but the brain won't slow down enough for me to rest easy.

Kurse: which led to me takin No Doz alot to stay awake long enough to
finish writing verses or survive a day at work

Kurse: It's like the motor is still running even long after the tank went empty. It's alot of stress on the mind and the body.

Kurse: Which is what this new street album is based off of. All my late night writings, thoughts, songs, hi-jinx and everything else. From No Doz demons to products of a sleeping disorder.

complexity: January 2009. One of your favorite songs of all time, I know it.

Inside The Box: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/insid ... 11724.html

complexity: Does this song sum up all the progress that you have made as an artist over the last couple years?

Kurse: Yea...I'd Top 5 this one as well. I'm proud of this one becuz I feel it truely does show the growth of Kurse as an artist. From presentation, to mixing to the upping of the vocabulary. I think it displays alot of things about who i am and might quiet some of the doubters who question how far i can take it.

complexity: It seems 2009 has been the year of Kurse dropping the monsters. At first you you just make as much material as possible, just to show that you're a contender, experiment, and work on getting an audience. The same can be said for any type of artist, it even reigns true for me, then you focus more, and every time that a new song comes out, its less playing around. Its more, ready to play with fire. I mean, you will still have some throw away tracks, but they are a fewer and far between. Do you agree with that assessment?

complexity: That also leads us into this song.

Gimme A Moment: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/gimme ... 12881.html

complexity: One of a handful of tracks that you have dropped on Illest this year.

Kurse: I agree. I don't think there's a question about my consistancy. I've recorded alot of material...it's actually rediculous just how much I've recorded over the past few years. But these songs are my resume. They tell the story of who I am...but they also show who I am as a man and an artist. With practice can come perfection. (possibly haha)

Kurse: But I'm tired of building the rep. I have the rep and the credibility. I'm who I say I am...I've done what I talk about. I'm ready to drop songs that can really stir up the wind and display things that maybe I'm not even ready for yet.

Kurse: I feel the time is coming soon.

complexity: The most recent song that you have recorded is titled "Say What You Like".

Say What I Like: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/say-w ... 14040.html

complexity: That really does bring us full circle, and helps drive home the point that you just made.

Kurse: Well between that one, and the one I dropped right before it called "Desperado" ...I just want to solidify that I'm not afraid to go on the record and put the word out there. No matter how dramatic, intense or insane it may be. I'm ready to make albums. I'm ready to entertain. It's time that the fastfood rap that floods the radio finds it's way to the dumpster.

complexity: Perfect. I want to you touch on "Desperado" real quick. That was another one that really impressed me personally.

Desperado: http://www.illestlyrics.com/board/despe ... 49-15.html

Kurse: "Desperado" was something I wanted to lace up for not only my neighborhood...but to show others that there's still a pulse over here. Just becuz the tracks aren't being dropped every week like they were doesn't mean that the mule still ain't kicking!

Kurse: "Desperado" was a statement. TOP 5 in my opinion.

complexity: Awesome. What a resume. What is your top five, that you keep mentioning, I think people would be interested to know.

Kurse: I would Say "Shake It Up" , "Desperado" , "My Bitch" , "Inside The Box" & "In The Rain"

Kurse: followed closely by "Whut It Be" , "House Party" , "Damnnn" , "Why's It So Hard" & "U Don't Know Me"

complexity: Great. We will talk more before this celebration is over. What do you have to say about Illest Lyrics, its been fucking 4 years Kurse.

Kurse: It's like an anticipated birthday party haha

Kurse: I'm glad to see that it's stood up and held it's ground so strong against competing rap forums.

Kurse: But illestlyrics isn't just a forum. It's almost theraputic in a way. A good place for true hip-hop fans to escape to. 4 yrs is a long time believe it or not. And I really hope to see it bigger and better in another 4 yrs from now. So much can happen is such little time...to predict the future of this site would be impossible. But to me...illest hits close to home.

Kurse: I'm glad to have shared this growth as well as all these memories with everyone on illestlyrics.

complexity: Excellent.
---Interview Fin---

Check out our Vapes for great prices.
Viral
Mentally Unstable
Mentally Unstable
Wins: 5
Losses: 1

Re: Kurse's Hip Hop Journey

Post by Viral »

aye kurse...who calls someone and then wen the person calls them back they dont answer?....get it yet?...U BITCH!...lol...

dope interview....long...and....long....nothing i cant say i didnt already know...well i didnt know kurse was GAY!....but i do now!..haha...but yeah good shit...i was startin to think u died man!..lol havent talked to u ina good 2 weeks id say...shits fucked

answer the phone when people call u back BITCH!...LOL!
Momeijah
Supreme Lyricist
Wins: 38
Losses: 7

Post by Momeijah »

Cool informative interview. i Liked Seeing What Made Him Write The Tracks And How He Rated Them Personally. i Want To See More About The Side Of The Journey We Didn't See On illest, Like How He Built Up His Reputation/Company/Equipment And Any Boosts Or Setbacks Etc That He Came Across On The Road.

AKA SCOTCH HALL, MOE MEIJER & MOMEIJAH.
- Mutual -
Supreme Lyricist
Wins: 5
Losses: 11

Post by - Mutual - »

very nice interview usually i dont read all of these things but this one was a good read
Dead Silence
God's Given Curse
Wins: 6
Losses: 34

Post by Dead Silence »

doppe
Faith

Return to “Interviews”