Who Killed Hip Hop?

Argue over who has the illest punchlines in the game. What your favorite songs are, the latest albums, and any other creative idea that will inspire thought provoking conversation.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

QwarterZ
Rap Professional
Wins: 4
Losses: 9

Re: Who Killed Hip Hop?

Post by QwarterZ »

nothing really, I honestly didn't read your post
at which point I'm just tryna get you all riled up ssssson
don't hate on my authority, I'll peep what you said later
alright shawty take a chill pill and go drop it like it's hot
nah'mean ssssssson
QwarterZ
Rap Professional

Post by QwarterZ »

It depends on your perception of the four elements
I always enjoyed taggin' only on paper tho'...never got the spray cans and ish
I tried dancing for awhile back...never DJ'd but people say I should
I'ma MC in my heart tho'...just no real outlet and I don't think anyone would get me
unless they're people like us
QwarterZ
Rap Professional

Post by QwarterZ »

I seen a few people b-boying, my boy used too, let drinking get involved
my other boy used to tag a lot he was good, but let weed and other shit mess with his head
I always hated seeing so called DJ's bust out a iPod and just doing that
that's more like a house party if anything
K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™
Rookie

Post by K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™ »

thought it was 5 elements, beatboxing was a big part of hiphop. i remember beat boxing during lunch at the courtyards and battlin. i just always thought beatboxing was a key element to hiphop. that goes for the rest. never did djing, did break dancing and mcing for sure. just miss those days alot. when breakdancing was actually fun and listening to those nasty tunes.

and listenin to early wu added another element to hiphop imo, it was them that got me into chess, shit was madd ill how you can incorporate chess with life and music. The graffiti was something that appealed to me naturally, just did it because i knew how. and knew it was a way to self express how you feel.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesD7inx ... re=related[/video]

rap is something thats being done, hiphop is something that is being lived- KRS 1
Lawgix
The Aphilliated Assasin
Wins: 14
Losses: 8

Post by Lawgix »

bllaahhhhhhh SUCH a touchy subject... but a good one at that... let me put my two cents in...

yes... Hip Hop is VERY much alive.... in the underground scene... NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO!!!!!!... you still hear what i call Hip Pop... I.E. Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, Drake yada yada... the Industry wants to hear people talk about shoes and cars and clothes and how much money they have and what kind of hats n watches n shit they have and what the latest dance craze is... oh and how big their houses are... thus the birth of MTV Cribs.... just to rub it in our faces... n i think America kinda goes for that... gets em off in a way... cuz it keeps em comin... pun intended...

you look at the OG artists of back in the days... now a days their tryin to stay afloat with the main stream of 2010... because people no longer care about lyrics... sure they can quote a line from their new fav artist of 2010 or 09... but does it really mean anything???? not to me...

i think people listen to the new era of hip hop... hip pop... to have cool sayings like "I Shot Your Mother With A Gun Loaded Full Of Dollar Bills"... but also look at who started Hip Hop and what their doin... Ice Cube is in Disney movies... Ice T plays a fuckin cop on TV... the one who sang Cop Killer... (Coincidence anyone???) Nas is probably off somewhere hiding from the milkshake lady Kelis and only makes appearances every blue moon... Royce is still doin his thing in Hip Hop n he only got bigger when Slaughterhouse came into play... plus the beef with Eminem n D12... and his feature on Em's first mainstream CD...

this isn't the 80's anymore... Run DMC only does appearances on Hip Hop Honors or some shit... this is 2010 and the public wants music they can dance too... they don't care about the lyrics or what a song means to them... they roll around in their cars bumpin their systems to the latest Gucci Man single cuz its what EVERYBODY is doing... honestly it does sicken me to see how Hip Hop has turned out... thats why i call it Hip Pop... cuz its not Hip Hop... but Hip Hop is still alive but only from the underground artists that care enough about the well being of it...

and by the way... think what you want... but Jay Z is a pioneer of Hip Hop... one of the many greats that KEPT New York Hip Hop on the map... other than Biggie
Don't Let The Game Make U, Make Urself

Lawgix

Illest Radio

"Sometimes You Gotta Stand By Your Failures To Recognize Your Success" Joe Budden

pest wrote:You look Easy... Whats Good?
AntiMaTTer wrote:lmao ...is this how you hit on all the chicks?
K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™
Rookie

Post by K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™ »

even underground where im at doesnt represent hiphop. its all about cars and clothes. So I think rap has taken full effect on how hiphop is represented. I believe rap has eradicated hiphop to a certain level. Because you say it exists anywhere you go, but here at the basement an underground joint, u dont find any elements of true hiphop. You'll here some local underground shit but its all corny. So thats my problem that im facing as a individual listener. Every great artist from back in the day get slept on indefinitely. And to me thats not right, the labels can take such a intricate piece of hiphop and flip it and martket it the way they want, and that can have everyone forget its history. Rap sells but hiphop doesnt, and all the success you get from rap doesnt make u a asset to hiphop!!!!!

Just because jay has so much success selling records do u put him above chuck d or someone like gza? Because a bunch of shit listeners want to continuously buy his albums and keep the nigga on top?

Big L>Jay Z

-- Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 am --

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjrQolpxpc[/video]

+rep
Lawgix
The Aphilliated Assasin
Wins: 14
Losses: 8

Post by Lawgix »

i agree with Big L... but even after Big L's death Jay kept it real for New York...

honestly... i listen to what sounds good... i don't really pay attention to the objects they talk about but more along the lines of the meaning of it... but i am still disappointed in the way Hip Hop is going and what turn its taking... Hip Hop to me is all very lyrical... if you can twist your words to make it into a syllable or metaphor or even a sick wordplay u've got my attention... i don't care about their possessions... or how much money they make... if they make good music then i'm cool with it...
Don't Let The Game Make U, Make Urself

Lawgix

Illest Radio

"Sometimes You Gotta Stand By Your Failures To Recognize Your Success" Joe Budden

pest wrote:You look Easy... Whats Good?
AntiMaTTer wrote:lmao ...is this how you hit on all the chicks?
FlipSide
Flow Creation
Flow Creation
Wins: 0
Losses: 0

Post by FlipSide »

The Thing With Hip Hop Is That Music is Only 1 Facet. Breakin, DJ'ing, Grafitty Are also just facets of hip hop. Hip Hop is a culture, I consider myself to be part of that culture. Every one that grew up In the 80's and 90's will have different perceptions of what hip hop is. Really i think it should be what u percieve it to be.Kind of Like Religion...LOL. Its Too Broad to say Oh Hip Hop Only Exist In the Underground. Because even though we Critic Dudes Like Soulja Boy.. He Undoubtedly Is a Product Of The Hip Hop Culture. It Just Shows How Diverse The Genre Really Is. I Feel I Should Go And do Some Research And Write An Essay About This... Another thing About Hip Hop Is That It Differs Due To Where Ur Located At. I Think We Can All Agree That The Hip Hop In New York Was The Originating Drive. But Now Its Every Where...The South Has Its Influences Given The Musical hystory in that area..as well as the mid west. Imagine we go in a crowd of people that listen to dudes like soulja boy religiously and say that he is not hip hop. We Will be Out Numbered ten to one. So in retrospect, we are the minority. I Could Speak For Ever On This Subject its like Religion. I Think We Should Have A Few Dudes Write About It...
BANG BANG!!!! I Shot U Down
̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪•)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ -
K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™
Rookie

Post by K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™ »

I agree with that. It has some to do with musical drive and influence but southern artists among many dont get motivated by what hiphop meant and represented, they get motivated by social exploits and contracts.

-- Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 am --

Materialistic shit shouldn't be a valued asset to hiphop whether now or ever, it never was. Representing whats standard for everyone should be the norm not the unachievable goal that every artist cant uphold. Not having a broad understanding of music and the history of hiphop your bound to be exploited and buried in a year or two cause u dont have consistent quality. The type of quality that record labels look for, not the type of quality that doesnt favor there interest. And every area has a particular interest that favors the complexity of what everyone wants to hear. So peoples taste are tuned and conformed to it. That changes hip hop. And i aint down with it.
QwarterZ
Rap Professional

Post by QwarterZ »

Geto Boys? Outkast? they never did that?
I mean your putting ALL Southern Artists in a box?
I mean Chamillionaire don't even curse in his work no more?
he knows he's being watched by the kids, so do many other artists

either way I agree with Flip that's what I tell everyone...
regardless of how you feel about it, someone like Soulja Boy
IS a part of Hip Hop, he makes people dance, in the beginning
what did people do? they danced, they battled so they didn't have to fight
you know who said this? KRS? I know who KRS is, don't throw no quote in like I don't know
I dedicated a whole thread to old school jams that made sense to me
I LOVE the old school but, as far as right NOW people say Hip Hop is dead
everyone see's the change and the only one who was GOING with the change
was probably LL, and maybe Jay, but to argue the impact Jay had is dumb
Big L has impact aswell, lyricists LOVE Big L, so do I, people LOVE Pun for flow
so do I, I mean it's all based on the factors, you can't focus on one thing or it doesn't function
Hip Hop is like the body, some people play the mind of it, while people like us play the heart
today's stars are kids, what were the artists of the golden age? they were a bit more mature
but once you figure out how to market yourself, and make yourself seen
you realize what you can do, whether the beat is simple or not, it's being played
a lot of people can hear the most beautiful song, or see a great piece of art on a wall
or get inspired by a dance, but you gotta give them time, only few will get through the stereotypical music
and see what Hip Hop is really worth, you can't force ANYONE to like anything
because they might not take it serious...
AbZ The Beast
Elite Freestyler
Wins: 3
Losses: 5

Post by AbZ The Beast »

i killed hip hop in a battle in the late 80's
THE FINAL SHADE' COMING FALL 2010
www.soundclick.com/abzthebeast
QwarterZ
Rap Professional

Post by QwarterZ »

blasphemy, I'm about to get you banned
.......lulz
Fuck u up!
Novice
Wins: 2
Losses: 4

Post by Fuck u up! »

Your Game's done played n' cut|
I already know I'm Ephed up!||
Ambiguous Realm
Army Of Three
Wins: 46
Losses: 14
No Shows: 2

Post by Ambiguous Realm »

the words "hip hop is dead" refers to the mainstream, like ruckus said..hip hop is still there..underground..where it's always been, commercial artists may be skilled but mostly focus on the money, eventually they lose the soul and foundation of what real hip hop is,

if your looking for who killed hip hop commercially..just turn on the hip hop station on the radio and tell me the first artist that plays, it's likely they may be one of the people responsible for the death of mainstream hop hop, everyone else who was true had no choice but to follow the trend of horrible music to keep their lousy fans and groupies
K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™
Rookie

Post by K®åz΀_K‡LLåH™ »

I acutallly like those artists, especially scarface, pimp c, a bunch of texas music, never said i didnt like it. i just dont agree with the content that gets overplayed .

Return to “Hip Hop Discussion”