Pay for studio time, or just do me???

All production work, recording or production help, beat requests, drumkits, samples, fruity loops, programs and other studio related items belong in this section.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

M33Kish
Elite Freestyler
Wins: 14
Losses: 17
No Shows: 1

Pay for studio time, or just do me???

Post by M33Kish »

I'm really thinking about going to one the thousands of studios around here but I'm wondering if I should just wait a couple months and save up for my own studio. Can anybody shed some light on their own personal studio/home studio experience?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Meek Shall Prosper... So they say :P
Alvin
Sudonim Free
Wins: 8
Losses: 3

Re: Pay for studio time, or just do me???

Post by Alvin »

Honestly, I've never paid. I've been involved with studios that charge, but on the charging end, not so much the paying end. A lot of the people I worked with payed simply because the pro studio could make them sound better than they themselves could at home. Studio time can get costly, so if you go that route, make sure you know exactly what you want and walk in ready to do it, cuz time is money. Memorize your shit, and only pay for the songs you really want made right. I record out of my house now, and i dont think I'm willing to pay for recording, unless it's going to be a learning expirience. Maybe when I'm loaded with cash, i might, but I'd prefer doing it myself, teaching myself to fish rather that asking someone to feed me.
HKX
Hard-Kore-X
Wins: 3
Losses: 0

Post by HKX »

Save up money & get ur own equipment ur better off trust me... you'll spend more money @ a studio then u would on doin' it urself. I got Pro Tools I spent a few dollars on my equipment cuz I wanted da right sound. It's common dat a lot of people that make music buy their own equipment instead of spending money to get something recorded. It's def a good investment I've been to various studios to record round my area. I have never paid 2 record (depends on ur connections) @ a pro studio. When I was signed a while back I was recording in a nice studio thing is dude couldn't mix properly. So I jus decided to get my own equipment & record when ever I wanted to. It works out in the end you come home & if you feel like recording it's right there. U don't gotta pay n e 1 2 record u, if u fuck up u don't gotta worry bout it cuz ur... ur own engineer now & you'll learn the process of mixing. So I HIGHLY RECOMMEND u invest in getting ur own equipment. It has many benenfits & time is valuable you don't gotta work on no one's schedule besides ur own.
Last edited by HKX on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Facebook Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/HKX-Ha ... 8754264962
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/hkx
Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/hkx
Search For Me On Datpiff.com: http://www.datpiff.com/mixtapes-search. ... eyword:HKX
Latest Album Dropped: Da Essence
M33Kish
Elite Freestyler
Wins: 14
Losses: 17

Post by M33Kish »

HKX wrote:Save up money & get ur own equipment ur better off trust me if u need help on wat 2 get get @ me homie.
fasho man if you could hit me with a list of shit that would be tubular.
The Meek Shall Prosper... So they say :P
RyeSchu
Rookie

Post by RyeSchu »

Yo man lot of cats look out and will give a good price for sure....you would definitly want to make sure your ish is proper before you get into a real studio though....i sugguest going to different studios to work with different producers....different producers know different artist maybe even big time artist.....its good just to get known by other people who love the same thing you do and may have similar goals....And by goin to different places you can find which ones fit you and which producers you would rather fucks wit.... Some of those producers might be connected with labels, major, or independent...
Defiance
Rap King
Wins: 10
Losses: 13

Post by Defiance »

yo, i think a mixed combination of both saving for your own... while getting some shit done professional.. shit some studios charge 35$ an hour.. if you got your beats and rhymes in order when you walk through the door.. you could knock out up to 5 tracks per hour. its up to u though

Sound click page
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=918703

One of Illestlyrics Best Collaborators 2011
LoDaMack
Rookie

Post by LoDaMack »

Save up, get a GOOD laptop, Condensor mic, Pop guard, VoxGuard or Reflexsion filter, LIL BIT of sound proof in the corner, and you're good to go! You'll still need some pro mixing and mastering till u learn how to do it.
jayzon_black
Rhyme Master
Wins: 4
Losses: 6

Post by jayzon_black »

I have my own studio at the crib and a link with a pro studio, so I know the best of both worlds. Personally, I enjoy the home studio because of the availability and the cost. There is definitely a great learning experience to have with doing it yourself, but you also have to understand that you pay for what you get.

When you pay for studio time you get professional equipment and engineers that know how to use it to make things sound extra crispy. You can do it yourself of course, but the learning curve is considerable, and you end up wearing a lot of hats. Some can handle it, others can't, so you need to know yourself and your limitations.

Composers write songs, artists perform the songs, producers make the beats, engineers mix and master. It's good to know about the other roles in the process, but it's not necessary to do all of them to have a successful project.
Ride out, Glide out.

Return to “Studio Related”