Darrel Revis

Talk about professional sports including basketball, baseball, football, and hockey. Advocate your favorite teams, post news, and address rumors.

Moderators: Loon E Lou, JDR

MOEstradamus
Flow Creation
Flow Creation
Wins: 7
Losses: 6

Darrel Revis

Post by MOEstradamus »

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Twenty-four hours after Darrelle Revis' mini-protest became major news, Rex Ryan still hadn't talked to his star cornerback to find out what exactly happened Monday morning on the New York Jets' practice field. So much for a hurry-up attack.

Ryan and Revis were planning to meet late Tuesday to discuss the matter. If Ryan receives the same version that made headlines, Revis admitting he sat out a few plays to let everyone know he's upset with stalled contract negotiations, the coach won't be happy.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"It's so not him," Ryan said. "It's uncharacteristic of him to get out of anything. I have to hear it from the horse's mouth. I know what he told [reporters], but I'm sure there's an explanation. You know what, it might be just this is a thing he wanted to do and that's fine. But he knows that's not right."

Welcome to another day in the Revis soap opera.

Expressing a more conciliatory tone than Monday, Revis said he was looking forward to speaking with his coach to prevent the situation from deteriorating any further. The All-Pro cornerback said he wants to be "a Jet forever" and that he hasn't considered the possibility of requesting a trade, a la Logan Mankins of the New England Patriots.

"This is the beginning of stuff turning bad," Revis said after a minicamp practice. "I'll talk to Rex [Tuesday] and we'll try to see eye to eye and try to do it the right way. [Monday] was a little frustration going back and forth, but we want to keep things positive."

On Monday, Day 1 of a mandatory minicamp, Revis said he sat out a few plays to make a statement about his contract situation. Initially, he told reporters that a pulled hamstring and lightheadedness were the reasons he removed himself, later acknowledging it was contract-related. Thing is, Ryan didn't get that version until he heard it from reporters -- he thought it was injury-related -- putting him in an uncomfortable position.

After a day to consider his remarks, which fueled an Internet buzz and a huge outcry on radio call-in shows, Revis said he didn't regret anything he said. He conceded the hamstring alibi was a tall tale, but he claimed he was, in fact, lightheaded.

"I didn't eat anything that morning, for real," Revis said Tuesday. "I came in here and went straight to meetings and didn't eat anything. I drank Gatorade, but I didn't eat anything, so I was like, 'I feel funny.'"

Defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman told him to take a break, and Revis went to the sideline. After practice, Revis was told he needed to get his blood checked and he told trainers he had to get something to eat.

But Revis didn't recant the part about his protest being mostly contract-motivated.

"I'm not going to take it back because that's how I felt," he said. "I'm releasing some of the frustration from the course of a couple of months because of the things they promised me ... This is not me. I'm going to take a step back and re-evaluate things in my own personal life."

Revis also shot down some theories that him sitting out a few plays was a way to not get fined by missing minicamp and still make a statement. The Jets could buy back the final two years of his contract, but Revis would lose it all if he misses any mandatory practices.

"The thing is, me and my agents have talked about it, about letting the money go," Revis said. "They were like, 'Do you want to lose this?' And I was like, 'I'll think about it.' And then, I was like, 'I'll go' because I want to be here. I don't want to be at home, not doing anything. I don't want to be a distraction."

Revis' approach may have softened ever so slightly, but he wasn't in forgive-and-forget mode. Not at all. He defended his unconventional actions from Monday, telling ESPNNewYork.com he sat out a few plays "to let [the organization] know that, 'You know, don't promise things that you can't promise.' That's hurtful when things don't happen. You're waiting on someone's word for something to get done, and it's frustrating."

Revis said it wasn't his intention to make a statement to Ryan, or to make Ryan look bad.

"He got the message, but the message is not to Rex," said Revis, who participated fully Tuesday in both practices. "Rex wants to get it done the right way. It's not him, it's upstairs."

Revis reiterated that GM Mike Tannenbaum promised, as recently as April, that the organization wanted to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. He said Ryan was in that same meeting and expressed the same sentiment.

The Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha is the highest-paid cornerback, averaging $15.1 million per year -- including $16.2 million this season. Revis, due to make $1 million this season, wants to be in the $16 million neighborhood -- a Peyton and Eli Manning-esque neighborhood.

The Jets have said they're willing to renegotiate Revis' current contract, which has three years remaining, but they're believed to be offering around $10 million a year. They regard the Asomugha deal as an aberration.

"Negotiations get kind of crazy sometimes, but I'm here and I'm practicing," Revis said. "There's no hatred or anything like that. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and let things be what they be."

Return to “Sports Arena”